Dallas is a Golf Lovers dream. The Dallas – Fort Worth metro area is blanketed in numerous public and private golf courses and is home to two PGA tour tournaments, the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial and the historic Byron Nelson Championship held at Irving’s Four Seasons Resort since 1994.
You don’t have to be a PGA Tour Pro to play like one in Dallas; several area apartment communities offer golf courses on-site, are within golf cart driving distance or offer magnificent views of the courses. Here are the top 10 apartments in Dallas – Fort Worth for golf enthusiasts.
10. Laguna Terrace – This apartment community offers an inspiring view of the beautifully manicured Prestonwood Country Club’s ‘The Creek’ golf course. While the course will take your breath away the membership fee to join might take your checking account away. Prestonwood has a steep $7,000 initiation fee and up to $425 per month in dues all depending on the. Laguna Terrace is a great apartment community with hot tubs, a pool and high ceilings. It may not be a country club but with the view of Prestonwood and all of the amenities it will make you feel like it while going easier on your wallet with apartments starting at $749 per month for a 1 bedroom.
9. Turnberry Isle – Like Laguna Terrace this apartment community has a great view of ‘The Creek’ course at Prestonwood Country Club. Turnberry Isle was built right on the golf course so residents could enjoy the view of the private clubs gorgeous landscaping. But if you don’t want to be tantalized with the view of a great course you can’t play on this probably isn’t the right Dallas apartment for you.
8. Timber Links at Denton
Built in 2004 this apartment community sits right on a great 9-hole golf course on the outskirts of Denton. 3 miles from the noise of college students partying on Fry Street and the University of North Texas, is Timber Links Golf Course, a lush 9-hole public course with lots of elevation spots and white sand filled bunkers. Residents of Timber Links at Denton only pay $50 per month for a membership and that includes a golf cart. Students from University of North Texas can pay as little as $100 per semester and a cart fee for a membership. Timber Links at Denton won’t make your checking account cry either, starting at just $645 per month for a 1 bedroom apartment.
7. Augusta, Bonaventure, Crooked Stick, Doral, Oakmont, Pinehurst – 6 apartment communities owned by the same property company circle Westdale Hills Golf Course. Westdale is a public 9-hole, par 27, walk through golf course in Euless, TX. The course features undulating greens, a minimum of 2 sand-traps per hole with water coming into play on 6 out of 9-holes. The shortest hole is 128yds and the longest is 184yds. The course won’t set you back too much with membership cost starting at $76 for 3 months or $200 for 12 months. Guests and residents can also pay a daily fee of $13 per day to play. Bonaventure is the lowest cost of the 6 communities with rents starting at $443 per month for a 1 bedroom; Crooked Stick is the most expensive running $529 per month for a one bedroom.
6. Los Rios Park
A Plano TX apartment situated right next to 2 golf courses is Los Rios Park. Golfers living here have a choice between Pecan Hollow or Los Rios golf courses. Both are 18-hole courses that are open to the public. Los Rios was once operated as a country club and not acts as a public golf course for the residents of Plano and North Dallas to enjoy. The course is fairly flat and situated in a flood plain so it features no sand traps but lots of ponds and green with a creek winding throughout the course. The longest hole is 576 yards (hole #18) and the shortest is 120 yards (hole #6). Pecan Hollow is currently undergoing complete reconstruction and will be closed until November 1st, 2011. When it reopens residents will have access to a more aggressive 18-hole course with sand-traps that their neighboring course lacks. Both courses charge a fee at tee-time or sell them in bulk via punch cards that are usable during the weekdays. You can live at Los Rios Park for as little as $600 per month for a 1 bedroom apartment and enjoy other great amenities like a 24 hour on-site gym, walk-in closets and vaulted ceilings.
5. Bluffs at Iron Horse – The Iron Horse is one of Fort Worth’s hidden treasures. A formidable 18-hole course featuring tree lined creeks, amazing greens and vintage railroad cars and accoutrements throughout. The course opened to the public in 1989 and is consistently updated and the buildings remodeled to maintain a fresh, new feel for the players that enjoy this course. The Bluffs at Iron Horse apartments offer dramatic, scenic views of the course, the tournament action, and a short walk to the club house. At $699 for a 1 bedroom apartment it’s a little pricier than others on our list, but the proximity to Iron Horse and no-membership required to hit the green makes it worth it.
4. Bella Vida at Coyote Ridge – Residents living in Bella Vida at Coyote Ridge get a free pass to play at Coyote Ridge Golf Club once a month. Coyote Ridge is an 18-hole public course with an open front 9 and a tight back 9. Being that it’s slightly higher in elevation than the surrounding area the course plays a little windy on the front 9, but thanks to the mature tress the back 9 escapes most of the wind. These holes feature Championship Bermuda grass on the greens, which are currently rolling an 11 or 12 depending on the hole, and no hard sand in the traps. Coyote Ridge also just built a palace-like new clubhouse for dining and entertainment for members to enjoy. Membership runs about $3,200 a year, but you can hit the gold course and pay daily for about $49 to $39 a day depending on the time and the season. Bella Vida at Coyote Ridge isn’t the cheapest place to live with 1 bedroom apartments starting at $809, but living across the street from what is possibly one of the best public golf courses in Dallas and getting a free pass once a month can make the cost worth it.
3. Marquis at Riverchase
Just down the road from Riverchase Golf Course in Coppell Texas is the apartment community Marquis at Riverchase. The community offers easy access to the public course and is located near DFW Airport and 2 major highways to quickly get around the metroplex area and is just minutes from the booming tech area Las Colinas in Irving. Many residents in Las Colinas apartments in Irving TX drive up to the course after a long day at work or for the weekend, instead you could live a minute away. Riverchase was named “one of the city’s best kept secrets” by AvidGolfer. A public course that is in great shape Riverchase features water on 14 out of the 18 holes, but has been weak on the bunkers; the course plays fairly flat and uses Bermuda grass on the greens. Currently the course is remodeling adding new, sturdier linings and drainage to all of the traps. Riverchase is also remodeling the clubhouse, building in new locker rooms and showers. Playing at Riverchase won’t break the bank with memberships as low as $35 a month plus cart fee or a daily-fee of $34 including the cart fee for non-members. The Marquis at Riverchase won’t put a pinch on your wallet either with 1 bedroom apartments clocking in at $673 per month to start.
2. Parkside at Firewheel – Live here and you’re just a short drive to Firewheel Golf Park which is home to 63 holes of golf. Yes you read that correct, 63 holes of golf. Enjoy 2 18-hole courses, The Old course and The Lakes course. Or choose from any of the 3 9-holers on The Bridges course; The Masters, The Champions and Traditions. The Lakes is probably the most difficult course at Firewheel sitting at a par-74 with lots of water throughout. Both The Lakes and The Old courses have Championship Bermuda on the greens while the 3 courses on The Bridges opt for Bent grass. Membership runs at $249 per month, but residents of Garland only have to pay $200 per month or pay at tee time. Living at Parkside at Firewheel you’ll also be within walking distance to plenty of shopping, restaurants and night life in Firewheel Town Center, which will also be home to the first ever In-N-Out burger in Texas. A 1 bedroom apartment in this newly built community is going to set you back around $885 per month, which is steep, but considering the variety of golf available and the shopping and restaurants a few feet away this apartment community is a solid #2 on our list.
1. Horizons at Fossil Creek
Fossil Creek Golf Course features phenomenal rolling fairways with 18 challenging holes. Designed by ‘The King’ of American Professional Golf, Arnold Palmer, the course will test you no matter what your skill level. Filled with clear lakes, giant mature trees and rocky bluffs this is an 18-hole experience for all golfers. Considered to be the most exclusive public course in the southwest it takes a 3 day notice to get a tee time. Membership costs $3,500 a year or you can pay the $54 fee a day to play on the course, those charges include the cart fee. Luckily Horizons at Fossil Creek is right on the golf course and has a relatively lower rent than others on our list with a 1 bedroom apartment starting at $736 per month. The combination of legendary golf, low rent and being located in Fort Worth’s Fossil Creek neighborhood give Horizons the edge to be #1 on our list of Top Apartments in Dallas – Fort Worth for Golfers
No related posts.
Posted by List Guy
on April 12, 2011. Filed under The List, Travel.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.